Having been a music major in composition choosing the music for our wedding was probably the most important and daunting aspect of our wedding. My love and I have an eclectic taste in music so finding a song or songs that represent us while maintaining a cohesive feel has been interesting. I'm so thankful for the internet because I have been able to find acoustic/piano/instrumental covers of most of the songs we love that don't quite feel like they belong at a wedding ceremony. However, finding that one song has not been easy.
When I picture myself walking down the aisle I want a song that expresses the gentle uniqueness of our love. Our love story has been bittersweet and entrenched in the reality that life is fragile. I feel at times we are older than we are... That we are standing in both the possibility of the beginning and the end of our relationship. A wedding isn't a place a person should be thinking about the possibility of dying, but it's been such a truth and reality in our relationship that it feels like an old friend that needs to be acknowledged...and possibly let go. Since I've gone into remission we no longer live with the possibility of me not being here anytime soon. We're going to have a future and the possibilities are endless. My love made a commitment to me that he would be with me even if someday I might die, and I felt maybe I should make the same promise back to him.
I Will Follow You Into the Dark
The Amanda Palmer Edition
Love of mine some day you will die
But I'll be close behind
I'll follow you into the dark
No blinding light or tunnels to gates of white
Just our hands clasped so tight
Waiting for the hint of a spark
If Heaven and Hell decide
That they both are satisfied
Illuminate the NOs on their vacancy signs
If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark
In Catholic school as vicious as Roman rule
I got my knuckles bruised by a lady in black
And I held my tongue as she told me
"Son fear is the heart of love"
So I never went back
If Heaven and Hell decide
That they both are satisfied
Illuminate the NOs on their vacancy signs
If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark
You and me have seen everything to see
From Bangkok to Calgary
And the soles of your shoes are all worn down
The time for sleep is now
It's nothing to cry about
'cause we'll hold each other soon
In the blackest of rooms
If Heaven and Hell decide
That they both are satisfied
Illuminate the No's on their vacancy signs
If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark
Then I'll follow you into the dark
1 comment:
oh.my.gosh.
what a beautiful celebration of what LIVING life with the LOVE of your life!
i can just picture you on your wedding day...with this music...and your shoes...and the cocktail party...and i my heart sings for you, holly. i can't even tell you how happy i am reading along side your life. ;)
love never fails.
Post a Comment