We've decided on a cocktail reception instead of a formal sit down dinner. Several things factored into this decision.
Location: Art Gallery
Since our reception will be in an art gallery a cocktail reception felt right. There are lots of lounge areas already in place, and lots of beautiful things to look at. I'd like to encourage our guests to wander, mingle, take in the sights, and dance their butts off!
Size: 80 Guests
I personally would not want to do a cocktail reception for 200+ people. That many people trying to not bump into each other while carrying plates of food makes me fear disaster, but I think, since we're having a small gathering in a fairly large venue, it will be manageable. The trick will be estimating the amount of food and drinks properly.
Timing: Early Afternoon
We're planning on having the ceremony around 2 or 3PM. (I need to iron out some details about decorating with the venue before we commit to a time.) 3 or 4 in the afternoon is a little late for lunch and awful early for dinner. It's an awkward time of day to plan a meal, so I think hors d'oeuvres and drinks would be appropriate; not to heavy and no one will end up starving either.
Our Fantastic Families
So many people in both our families have offered to cook, and let me say we both come from families that can cook! It was totally unexpected and I am delighted, but I don't want anyone trapped in the kitchen all day either. This way everyone can bring an appetizer they love, drop it off, and party away! I know a "pot luck" style wedding can be horribly disastrous. I've seen it go down on several occasions. You end up with 12 salads and some bread, or 50 lasagnas and nothing else. It's been my experience that communication and a plan are key. My plan is to come up with an idea menu, sit down with everyone, see what we like and what we don't like, and decide who wants to make what. Done and done.
I'm excited and I'm hoping a cocktail reception will encourage a fun atmosphere! I really want our wedding to be fun and carefree and filled with the people we love the most. I am totally open to hors d'oeuvres suggestions if anyone would like to share their favorites! \
 |
| Croissant Sandwiches |
 |
| Bruschetta |
 |
| Crostini |
 |
| Crudite |
 |
| Caprese Skewers |
 |
| Pinwheels |
 |
| Mushroom Ragu Crostini |
 |
| Mini Burgers |
 |
| BBQ Meatballs |
 |
| Stuffed Jalapenos |
 |
| Satay with Peanut Sauce |
2 comments:
Fresh Fruit Bruschetta - I made this for New Year's Eve. Sooo yummy!
www.ourbestbites.com/2010/03/fresh-fruit-bruschetta-with-orange.html
Um, I would eat ALL of those things. The mini burgers are such a cute idea. The bruschetta and stuffed jalapenos looked amazing as well.
Post a Comment