June 23, 2011

A Girl has to Save a Few Things for Herself

I quit openly posting blogs about the wedding preparations for quite awhile.  I was having problems with friends stealing my plans.  Right down to my colors, venue, music, centerpieces, invitations, and wedding dress.   I'm happy to share ideas and tips, but there is a big difference between sharing and stealing. I didn't take 13 months to plan a wedding just for someone else to take it for their own because they're too lazy to pick out things that are meaningful to them.   Why would a bride want to walk down the aisle to my song anyway?  Especially when it has no special meaning to her and she had never heard it before.  It's silly.

As Chris said, "All wedding ideas are essentially copies.  You got ideas from other people's weddings."  That is true, but these weddings are over, not anyone I know, and everything has been altered to fit our taste.  I know I will end up selling my centerpieces to another bride who likes the idea.  I understand that, but she will fill them with her favorite flowers not mine from the exact same store.  It's just staggering to walk into what is essentially your wedding and it's not for you. I had 0.2 seconds to pick my jaw up off the floor and slap on a big congratulatory smile at the reception.
 
I know this sounds petty and childish, and I'm feeling resentful.  My family attended these events. I didn't want our wedding to look like a rerun four months later, so I quit posting.  I quit being nice and sharing where I bought things when people asked.  I hate having to turn our wedding into a top secret event, but a girl has to keep a few things for herself on her wedding day.

No comments: